Loaves and Fishes
Date(s) - 03/23/2018 - 03/24/2018
6:30 pm - 2:00 pm
UU Church at Washington Crossing
Add to Your Calendar
We hope that many of you will choose to help out with ‘Loaves and Fishes’ on Friday March 23 or Saturday March 24 this year. This is one of our congregation’s annual hands-on ‘food justice’ event where we assist our neighbors in need in Trenton. We work on this with UUs from the Washington-Crossing Congregation.
The bagged lunch preparation takes place at UU Church at Washington Crossing on Friday, March 23.
These bagged lunches will be handed out on Saturday, March 24, 9am- 2pm, at St Mary’s Cathedral in Trenton, New Jersey (151 North Warren Street, Trenton) to guests along with the hot meal prepared by St Mary’s Loaves and Fishes Soup Kitchen.
Friday, March 23 and Saturday, March 24, 2016
The Trenton Area Soup Kitchen (TASK) and other organizations serve meals to the hungry in Trenton during the week. There is no meal service on Saturday or Sunday. A group of churches and other organizations fill that void by serving meals on the weekend. One such food provider is Loaves and Fishes at St. Mary’s Cathedral.
Loaves and Fishes serves meals on most Saturdays. These meals purchased, prepared and served by volunteers from many churches and service organizations throughout central New Jersey. One Saturday a year, Washington Crossing and the Princeton UU work together to provide one of these Saturday meals along with a brown bag lunch for the following day. The need is great. Over 800 meals are served on a typical Saturday.
What Will I Experience?
If you help out on Saturday, Loaves and Fishes is an opportunity to come face to face with the working poor, homeless, disabled and mentally ill in Trenton, who are unable to fend for themselves.
UU Princeton busy most of the food we donate from our Social Justice budgets, but we ask for offerings from your home kitchen of brownies for dessert.
Loaves and Fishes 2018
Help the Miracle Happen! Join us on Friday March 23 and/or Saturday March 24, 2018 for Loaves and Fishes this year. This is when our congregation joins with UU Washington Crossing to serve our annual weekend hot meal in Trenton to those who live with hunger every day. Ages 10-110 are welcome.
We will make the bag lunches at UU Washington Crossing this year on Friday night, March 23, ~6:30-8 pm.
You can help by being:
- Brownie Bakers — you can bake ahead of time & deliver to the congregation – the week leading up to March 23
- Sandwich Makers & Bag lunch ‘Stuffers’ – will work only on Friday evening, March 23
- Drivers – 2 are needed to pick up bag lunches from UU Washington Crossing on Friday evening, then deliver to Trenton early on Sat. morning
- Milk Shopper – 1 needed to buy about 30 half gallons at Halo Farm EARLY Saturday morning and deliver to Trenton by 8:30 am.
- Servers – we need a crew to help heat & serve the hot meal on Sat. between 10 am and 1:30 pm
- Angels with Brooms – on Saturday between about 1 and 2 pm to uphold our stellar cleanup reputation with Loaves and Fishes organizers!
How to Volunteer
Signups will start late February during Robinson coffee hours, or email us if you would like to sign up as Milk Shopper or Driver.
Google Forms Sign-Ups
To Bake Brownies — read this
To Make Bag Lunches Friday eve – read this
To Serve on Saturday in Trenton – read this
Louise Senior (co-organizer of Loaves and Fishes 2018)